If you're looking for a 'best diet for life' that you can follow on a daily basis, this article has some simple tips to get you going. The main idea is that you can introduce these dietary changes over a period of time. You do not have to make the switch overnight! If you do, you may find it difficult to stick with the new diet and then end up back where you were before.
Begin by picking out a couple of these tips at a time and incorporating them into your day until they become routine. Then, move on to a couple more. Before long you'll be following all 10 tips as part of your daily meal routine. By following these tips you'll not only be eating healthy but you'll want to prepare healthy meals and your family and friends will benefit too.
1. Add fresh vegetables to your plate – an extra serving of veggies has many benefits including lots of vitamins and minerals.
2. Marinate meat before a barbeque – this will cut down a lot on the amount of carcinogens produced during the barbeque process.
3. Switch to whole grain foods – changing from white flour based foods to whole grain (bread, pasta etc.) slows down the rate of absorption by the body. This reduces the insulin 'spike' you can get from consuming simple carbs.
4. Eat a balanced meal – make sure you include carbohydrates, protein and some fat (unsaturated as much as possible) with each meal.
5. Eat fish – fish is an excellent source of low fat protein, and it also contains essential oils needed by the body.
6. Eat plenty of salads – a fresh salad is a good accompaniment to your meat dish and is loaded with nutrients.
7. Try the light versions – always look for low fat versions of foods (milk, cheese etc.) to reduce your intake of saturated fats.
8. Avoid fast foods – hard to do in our busy schedules. But if you can cut back on the trips to the fast food outlets, you'll bebetter for it.
9. Try a vegetarian day – if you can cut out meat and fish once a week you will reap the benefits of a vegetarian diet. Who knows, you might even prefer these lighter, easier to digest meals?
10. Do not over-cook your food – especially vegetables. They should be slightly on the 'crunchy' side to avoid cooking off all the nutrients.
If you've been thinking about adopting a healthy lifestyle then these tips will help get you started. Remember, if we continue to do things the same way, we continue to get the same results. Following these everyday tips will improve the quality of your food intake. You'll feel better after a meal and you'll have more energy as well. Moving from an 'average' diet to the 'best diet for life' is not a quick weight loss program. It's more of a regular adjustment to a healthier lifestyle that includes both a regular diet and regular exercise.