A college education can make a huge difference in your life but if you have kids to support going back to college can put a strain on your finances. However, you do not have to scrap your dream of getting a college degree. There are scholarships for mom that can help pay all or part of your tuition expenses until you graduate from college. All you have to do is apply.
There are several types of scholarships that a mom can apply for:
• Athletic scholarship. If you are good at any field of sports you can apply for an athletic scholarship. This type of scholarship is heavily funded and you can apply for one from the NCAA.
• GPA-based scholarships. Many colleges offer scholarships based on your academic ability. You will have to contact the college of your choice and inquire about their requirements for GPA-based scholarships.
• Needs-based scholarship. If you are a single mom or can not afford to go to college you may qualify for this type of scholarship. You can apply for financial aid for your college education at many government sites.
• Mom scholarships. Government grants are given to single, married and working mothers, including low wage earners who want to earn a college degree. The best thing about this scholarship for mom is that you will not be required to pay it back. Many moms are eligible for this type of aid.
• Federal Pell Grants. Moms who want to go back to school can apply for a Federal Pell Grant. With this scholarship, you can study online. This means you will not have to neglect your family or quit your job.
How To Apply For A Federal Grant
The new Mom Scholarships program offered by the administration is open to all moms and low wage earners. To be eligible for the program, you have to be an American citizen. The first thing you have to do is complete the FAFSA or Free Application for the Federal Student Aid form. The form is also available online as the "Pell Grant Application". A Federal Pell Grant must be used only for educational purposes.
In addition to the FAFSA form, you will also have to submit the following documents:
• Valid Social Security Number
• High school diploma or GED
• Federal tax returns
• W-2 information
• Bank statements, mortgage information, business records
The verification process can be quick as long as you submit all the documents and there are no mistakes in the forms. Be sure to fulfill all the requirements so that your scholarship for mom will be quickly approved. Going back to college and getting a degree is easier if you have financial assistance.