The other day as I was talking to a friend about some women health related issues and I had a bit of a minor epiphany. You see my friend asked me what things she could do that were simple to implement and did not require a major lifestyle change to try and stay healthy. I told her that it looked like a strange question coming from her, since I've always known her to be a fit individual. But, she wanted my opinion. She later confessed that she was picking my brain to get ideas for a book that she wanted to write about fitness for women. Anyhow, this got me to thinking that she was right. There are probably many people who just overlook the simple things, not because they do not know, but because we get so busy that we forget. And, sometimes we need to be reminded. So, I decided to write a brief article myself.
So here are my basic health tips for women to remain fit and healthy in this busy age:
1. Trying to remain fit and healthy begin with a balanced diet. You should, of course, be aware of and monitor the correct weight for your age. Consult with your doctor to learn what foods youought to avoid and follow your eating discipline routines. If you are trying to shed some pounds, then it goes without saying that those favorite foods that are high in calories must go, no matter how convenient. Be sure to include foods with high fiber and low fat. If it has been a while since you have ateen cereal in the morning because it is kids' food, then be a kid again and eat cereal. Of course, not the high sugar variety, but a good quality whole grain cereal. I prefer the organic cereals myself.
2. Another health tip that we sometimes need to be reminded of is to drink plenty of water. You should strive to drink at least eight glasses of water everyday. This could also be water obtained from sources like soup. If you can afford it, try some of the high quality filtered waters like Penta water. Drinking water cleanses the body from harmful impurities and keeps the keep the body hydrated. It also helps to keep your skin looking youngger.
3. If you smoke then STOP! Yes, everyone knows that smoking is a horrible habit that ages you faster and, of course, can kill you, so why are you still smoking? If you happen to be pregnant that do everything you can to stop smoking for the sake of your child. Smoking will affect the health of the baby. The harmful content of cigarettes may be passed on to the child to the baby through the bloodstream. Here is another interesting tidbit of information for you women smokers. Did you know that there is research that suggests that female smokers are more susceptible to diseases than male smokers? Female smokers have a heightened risk of getting breast cancer. In addition, you bought to limit your alcohol take and quit drinking entirely if you are pregnant.
4. Okay, here comes the one obvious health tip that so many people do not want to hear. You must include daily exercise of some kind. Try taking your dog for a walk. So many people have dogs and never walk them. It is a great way to get in some exercise for the both of you. Buy some kind of home gym and use it! For many of us that live in a big city it is sometimes a hassle to get to the gym everyday. Beside dealing with the traffic on the road, we have to deal with the traffic on the machines. And, for some, going to the gym becomes a social event more than a workout. Having a quality piece of fitness equipment in the home can save time. And, unless you must have the social activity at a gym, or need a spotter, you can get a great workout from home. You just have to be disciplined about it. Nowadays, there are even virtual personal trainers. You can get a customized workout plan and motivation via the virtual world.
5. I'm often amazed by this one because we live in an age where vitamins are everywhere. However, so many people seem to not use them, or buy them only to never take them. Use high quality Vitamins and Supplements. If you are an athlete this is even more important. Women especially should take a quality Calcium supplement. Supplementing with Calcium may prevent having cramps and Pre-Menstrual Period (PMS) Symptoms. It may also help prevent Osteoporosis. Another valuable addition is Vitamin E. Vitamin E helps to boost the immune system. Moreover, Vitamin E is said to be help avoid wrinkles that are commonly associated with aging.